hit
counter
Talking Power Play with Diamond Willow Award readers

feeding change

blogging learning & creativity for young minds

Talking Power Play with Diamond Willow Award readers

September 30, 2012

I’m incredibly honoured that my graphic novel Power Play is nominated for a 2012 Diamond Willow Award. Being one of the amazing “Tree Awards”, the winning book is chosen by the most important judges of all: the reader! Over the next few weeks, readers in Saskatchewan will work their way through some great Canadian books, including Power Play my graphic novel adventure about government and democracy.

Since I can’t be in Saskatchewan to convince the kids to vote for my book, I’m inviting all Diamond Willow readers to ask me questions or just say hi in the comments section below.  I’ll check back daily and answer anything readers would like to know about the book, writing in general or whatever!

If you’re a Diamond Willow reader, let your teachers know I’m here and ready to chat with you about all things bookish.

So, let the conversation begin!

Special thanks to super-teacher Lori Kruk for inspiring this idea. I look forward to hearing from the kids in her class and any readers out there in lovely Saskatchewan or beyond.

And check out the video Ms. Kruk put together to highlight all the Diamond Willow nominees:

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
  • Lori Kruk
    11:10 pm on October 1st, 2012 1

Hey Liam,,

I was so glad to see your post about the Diamond Willow Awards. And I have to admit, it was pretty cool to see my name on your website! My students are very excited about this opportunity to chat with you. I’m going to let the other library people in my division know about this. Thanks so much!!!
    Mrs. Kruk

• liam
    5:54 am on October 2nd, 2012 2

I’m very excited to this! I’m always happy to have conversations with readers about my books. And yes, spread the word. The more the merrier!

Liam

• Nicholas
    12:36 pm on October 9th, 2012 3

Hi I read your book it’s a really good book. I liked it when the police where holding riot shields. Will you make a number two of the power play book?

• Austin C.
    12:39 pm on October 9th, 2012 4

Hello,

My name is Austin Coward. I really like your book Power Play and I would like to read your other ones.

• liam
    5:53 pm on October 9th, 2012 5

Hey Austin! I’m glad you liked Power Play. You should totally read another one in the series! If you like skateboarding you should check out Ramp Rats. If soccer is your thing, then you might like Soccer Sabotage. Both books star Devin, Marcus and other characters you’ll recognize.

• liam
    6:12 pm on October 9th, 2012 6

Thanks for your comment Nicholas. I’m glad you liked the book. I always think riot shields are scary looking, but that’s part of their job (that and keep the police from getting hurt.) Power Play is the final book in the Graphic Guide Adventure series, so there’s no plans for more. But if PP is the only one you’ve read, then you have 5 more to go! They all star the same characters and can be read in any order. You can find them all here.

• Dawson
    12:51 pm on October 11th, 2012 7

your book was the best and i wanna read your other books.

• liam
    5:16 pm on October 11th, 2012 8

Hey Dawson, thanks so much for reading my book! I’m glad you liked it. If you want to read more about Devin, Marcus and the gang, you should check out the other books in the Graphic Guide Adventures series. You could start with the first one, Wild Ride and see how Devin and Marcus first meet (it doesn’t start out well!)

What was your favourite part of the book?

• Talking Power Play with Diamond Willow Award readers « Graphic Guide Adventures
    5:20 pm on October 11th, 2012 9

[...] Since I can’t be in Saskatchewan to convince the kids to vote for my book, I’m inviting all Diamond Willow readers to ask me questions or just say hi in the comments section over at my blog feeding change. [...]

• Jesse
    12:33 pm on October 23rd, 2012 10

I really liked your book. It was really good. My favorite part was when Willie stuck them in a room and they had to find a way out.

• Austin W.
    12:36 pm on October 23rd, 2012 11

Thank you for the awesome book. It was totally awesome. I liked it when the guy with the 5 shirt was eating two hamburgers and they were supposed to be focusing on Willie. When the dad came by, they tried to keep it a secret so the girl said “Lucas is going to eat another hamburger”. And then Lucas said “What? No, I’m not hungry.”

• liam
    6:23 pm on October 23rd, 2012 12

Hey Jesse! I’m so glad you enjoyed the book and the part when Devin, Bounce and Pema were locked in the room in the warehouse. Writers love getting their characters into sticky situations like that. Getting them out of danger is always a lot tougher!

Thanks for commenting and enjoy the rest of the Diamond Willow books!

• liam
    6:27 pm on October 23rd, 2012 13

Awesome comment Austin! I’m so happy you liked the part with Marcus and the hamburgers. That was my little “Scooby Doo” moment, because Shaggy and Scooby are always eating when there’s a mystery to solve. I wrote it and thought it was funny. Now I know someone else found it funny too! Thanks.

Thanks for reading Power Play and leaving a comment. Be sure to check out the other books in the series and all the other Diamond Willow books too!

• Lori
    12:32 pm on October 25th, 2012 14

Hi Liam,

My students are just thrilled about being able to communicate with you. Alot of kids are reading your book and are asking for more titles so I need to get some ordered. Kids are lined up to tell me about your book and to send you a message. Thanks again!!

• liam
    7:17 am on October 26th, 2012 15

That’s great to hear Lori! I’m having fun chatting with everyone and they’ve got some great insights into the book. Very glad they want to read more in the series. Devin and the gang have many other adventures to share with readers. I can’t wait to hear what the other students have to say!

• Lori
    11:38 am on November 30th, 2012 16

Hey Liam,

I have a student who I challenged to read at least 1 of the Willow Award books. He chose Power Play. He set a goal to have 30 pages read by this Wed. He exceeded his goal and he’s almost finished the book and is really enjoying it. He even told his teacher that he had to read it during guided reading time because he had made a commitment. I am so proud of him. Just thought you might want to know. Your book is having an impact in so many ways.

• liam
    5:28 pm on December 1st, 2012 17

Lori – that is an amazing story! I’m so happy my books are engaging reluctant readers and helping them succeed in school. Thanks so much for sharing that. It put a smile on my face.

• Lori
    12:59 pm on January 17th, 2013 18

Hi Liam,

I really love your book Ramp Rats because I love skate boarding and I like Crunch, how he’s so much of a bully and how the other kids get back at him.

Cashtyn

• Lori
    1:00 pm on January 17th, 2013 19

Hi Liam,

I love the book Ramp Rats. I picked to read that book because I love to skateboard and I love your other books.

Tyson

• liam
    6:06 pm on January 17th, 2013 20

Hey Cashtyn,

So glad you loved Ramp Rats! I hope you learned a few tricks from it. Crunch was such a bully, I knew he had to get it in the end. Maybe he’ll be nicer to Bounce and the gang from now on. What do you think?

• liam
    6:09 pm on January 17th, 2013 21

Great to hear from you Tyson! And very happy you love Ramp Rats and my other books. That’s the goal! Hopefully Ramp Rats helped you learn a few new tricks on your skateboard. Remember to wear a helmet! :P

• Lori Kruk
    4:13 pm on January 18th, 2013 22

Hi Liam,

I really appreciate how quickly you answer my students. They love it. I sure wish other schools would leave comments for you. My students are gobbling up your other books. I’m amazed at how many books (Willow Award nominees or other) they have read this year.

Lori

• liam
    5:23 pm on January 18th, 2013 23

Lori, I’ve had so much fun talking with your students! You’ve done a great job getting them inspired to read and then having them share their thoughts. I’m happy to chat with them. And please pass on my congratulations to all of them for reading so many Willow Award books!

RSS feed for comments on this post | TrackBack URI

• In Food Fight, O’Donnell has once again used his unique teaching tool to inform a generation of children about a current and growing social concern… — CM Magazine

• My Books

AmazonKobo

With Craig Battle

AmazonKobo
    AmazonKobo
    AmazonKobo
    AmazonKobo
This blog is protected by Dave\\\\\\\'s Spam Karma 2: 2363 Spams eaten and counting...